Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Conversation in a the Library

Tonight I was in Herrick Library (one of the two libraries at Alfred University) looking for a couple of movies to take home and watch over the next couple of days.

As I was sorting through the rack I was talking to another of my class-mates (one of my twenty-something fellow students.) We were chit-chatting back and forth about different movies. She was complaining about being on campus until Friday after most of the students in our class had already headed home.

But then, she was also complaining about WHERE she had to go for her break. Apparently her mom (no mention of a father so I am assuming a divorce or death) lives in New York City.

Well, I was just so excited for her. Being an artist in New York City! I mean, there is probably no other place in the world (maybe Berlin or Paris?) where more is happening to keep a young artist thriving (at least on the art scene) and making connections.

But, no. She was just clearly bummed out.

So, I had to let that one go.

Oh, the stupidity of youth.

I guess I was once that stupid and short-sighted too.

Besides my encounter in the library, I went to a foundry Christmas party. Free Pizza! I am a college student after all and the word FREE and FOOD equal YES, I'll be there.

So, I went to the party.

Of course, since there was no booze or drugs it was a short party.

The party was supposed to start at 6 p.m. I didn't want to be too tacky so I stopped and got a couple of bottles of soda (found out I didn't have to later on) and when I got there at 6:15 there were only two slices of pizza left. Fortunately, there was one slice of plain pizza and one slice of mushroom. And, I hate mushrooms so you know which one I took. The one lovely slice of pizza was followed by too many chocolate candies and slices of cake.

Oh, and yes, besides the food goodies we each got a little (tacky) plastic ring as a memento of our time at foundry.

Here we are, all wearing our tacky plastic rings, power-rangers style. Metal heads unite!

Enjoy the pix!



Before I close, here's an image of the latest painting I'm working on.

It's a 4' by 5' canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Like the faux "Power Ranger" photo!
    Need to update your blog...come on, I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete