Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Here I Am-Rockin' Like a Hurricane

O.K., what rock group did that song? I can hear the music roaring through my head. . . . and, the winner is. . . . . I dunno. Sorry.

I'm posting again after a hiatus of at least a few days. It's been radically insanely end-of-semester busy.

I'm up early today to so I can get to the studio and get something painted before my crit today. This will be the last of my crits for the semester. After this, there will only be the obligatory helping to clean up the studios duties. Imagine that, we pay all this money for art school and they US to clean up the studios. What a racket, eh?

So, yesterday I did my 45 minute presentation on the Klingit native culture of Southeastern Alaska. I also handed in my 10-page paper (that I found out isn't actually due until a week from now.) Then, headed down to the foundry and set up a small performance related to my 'heritage' theme.

After cleaning up the table in the wax room (which could only be described by the Italian slang word 'shkeeve!' I dressed things up with my great-grandmother's yellow crocheted table cloth, my crystal candle sticks, a couple settings of miss-match plates (with forks, knives and spoons) two demitasse cups and saucers and, in the middle of the table I put a mirror with the two newly completed bronze bells and the three larger wax bells that will be cast in iron next semester.

The performance was simple and short. The theme was 'welcoming my ancestors to the table.'

I dressed for the occasion, because if I really was inviting my dear departed ancestors I wanted to have on some of my nicest clothes.

Lighting the candles at the table I said, "Ospiti onorati benvenuto!" (Welcome honored guests) Then, looking down at the table and gesturing toward the plates I said, "ho impostato la tabella nel ricordo e nell amore." (I set the table in remembrance and love.) Then I picked up each of the bells (representing both grandmothers) and rang them.

Here are some pictures one of my classmates took.





I guess I'll be rockin' on today since I've got a full day schedule ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment