Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Free Furniture, Free Time, and Free Thoughts

So today, all in all. was a really good day.

I got up and arrived on time to my 11:20 a.m. class. Now, granted 11:20 a.m. is NOT early, but the point is that I was on time.

Being on time has always been a problem for me. I call it, 'chronologically challenged.'

For most of my life I have never been on time (sort of like commercial flights.) I seem to be making up for the fact that I was born two weeks early. That's the only lame-ass cosmological, woo-woo reason I can come up with.

But, back to the classroom story. . .

So, I get there on time and the class is canceled! Oh, the sheer inconvenience of it!

It turns out that we had two readings to do (tonight) so that we can arrive in class tomorrow morning, bright and shining, with a synopsis of the readings and three discussion questions.

I've done the readings, have made notes, and have absolutely no idea what scintillating questions I'll bring to class tomorrow morning. But I'll pull something out of my 'brain' for the morning.

After garthering up the required syllabus, readings and my well-hidden indignation, I headed over to Hope Z's office for a chat.

Hope is the technician, artist and an art teacher who over sees the replenishing of the studios. She's got one of those jobs that noboby appreciates unless she doesn't show up to do it.

Without her we'd have no solvent, or (GAWDF4BID) rags in the painting studio. The whole studio world seems to just grind to a halt when the rag and solvent supply gets low.

I guess you'd have to be a painter to understand.

After my brief chat with Hope, I headed home for lunch (a very tiring morning for a 'mature' student like me.)

On the way home I noticed an empty shop on Main St. that had a bunch of furniture and junk out on the lawn. I stopped by and found 'FOR FREE' (now, practically one of my favorite words in the English language) an old bureau just perfect for the upstairs spare room. It had some wonky old drawers that didn't close exactly right and needed some cleaning up, oh, and was missing a caster on one of the legs, but other than that seemed just fine for my storage purposes.



Ah, America, a great country!

When I arrived home (after my arduous morning) I made myself a 'nice' Elvis special (peanut butter and nanner sandwich) which I was half-way through when I discovered a huge cat puke regurgitation on two steps of carpeting leading upstairs. George had apparently walked over it numerous times and not noticed it.

Now, on to another subject, the male dominant gene that renders men unable to see various objects like crumbs, dust, piles of dirt and huge puddles of cat puke. Realize here women, that anger is futile!

Surrender to the fact that they will not now, or ever, see the world as we do or the hairs growing out of their noses. Just clean up the stuff and be on your merry way, which is exactly what I did.

After lunch and the cat puke incident (yes I did finish my sandwich) I quickly ran the vacuum around the living room realizing that if I didn't it probably wouldn't get done until the next time I thought of it. Again, it's that surrender thing.

I then headed off to the Foundry meeting.

Yes, I am casting metal this semester. I've had bells on the brain all Summer.

I made a few bells last year which I would post here but my iMac has decided to go into sleep mode and by the time I load the pictures it will be WAY past my bed time.

The meeting at the Foundry lasted about two hours. We had about a dozen students with ideas ranging from massive (stone carving, metal casting) to my bells, bells, bells.

One student shot at clay tiles he had made and he wanted to cast the holes in the tiles (artists would call it the 'negative space') in metal. I mean, how did he ever come up with that concept? I kind of like it's off the wall-ness.

I'm all for senseless violence that doesn't hurt any body. I guess that's I why enjoyed going to the demolition derby last Thursday night; crash-bang-crunch, and everybody walks away laughing.

Maybe, now that I'm living in the country, I'm becoming a bit of a red neck? Nah.

Another student wanted to do something with natural forms, like nests, in metal.

I just love organic forms, and have taken tons of photos of natural forms. I also have a small collection of wasps nests (without the wasps, of course.)

O.K., so now it's getting a bit scary for you I suppose (if you're not an artsy type) but for me it's just the normal rattle and hum of the creative mind.

Things haven't kicked into high gear for the semester yet. I don't know if I'll be as faithful to this blog once things really heat up. But, I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment