Thursday, October 22, 2009

Paint, Wax and Ice Cream!

No, I'm not mixing them together and eating them!

On Thursdays I don't have Art History, so, I have more time for studio work.

So, since I got a late start, I had a late end. But, I did accomplish some things so. . .wutevah!

I went to the painting studio first. I'm working on a second pass at a self-portrait based on my 1973 High School photo that was never actually bought. I'm working from a digitized copy of the photographer's proof. The original copy has holes punched across my bust and I don't know where it actually resides right now. But with a little help from Photoshop it's now a digital memory and my bust doesn't look like swiss cheese.

Funny, I was talking to someone in my studio who had the funkiest home-made, tacky digital watch, so I complimented him on it. Then I went to show him mine, a good old watch with hands AND numbers, and he said, "I'm sorry" as if he was taking pity on me for wearing an 'old fashioned' watch! So, I told him I live in my "own time zone."

And, if you know me, you know that's very true. Time (or rather, being on time) has always been a challenge for me. The only place I have to be on time on a regular basis lately is my art history class, three times a week I have to be there by 11:20 a.m. That's not too hard to take.

So, here's the work in progress self-portrait from earlier today:



I've been having a really difficult time getting a likeness. You would think that after looking at my face all these years I would have that down. But then, my face is changing anyway so I'm looking at past history here. I know when I was in high school I didn't appreciate my face. I thought I was ugly.

Time and distance sure does change perspective.

While I was painting, my studio partner came in and started working on one of her paintings. She tends to gravitate to paintings of her friends and zombies. Hey, who am I to judge? Just a month ago I was painting my tits on a canvas.

After painting for a few hours I headed down to the foundry to work on wax. I was able to get the foundry teacher to schedule an extra metal pour next Wednesday because I would never be able to make it for the next group crit on November 2nd without the extra pour date.

So, here are some pictures of the depth of my wax-insanity.



This WAS my wax bell-bowl. I put in back into the wax pot tonight because:
1. It would weigh a ton if it was actually cast
2. I am sick of looking at it
3. I couldn't get the stupid thing to attach to the wax sprues last time so I'm done!

But I had to take pictures of it before it went to its waxy grave in the wax pot. Oh, what a cruel fate! Who knows what creatures exist at the bottom of the primordial ooze?

And, here is more wax insanity. I'm not sure I'm going to cast all of this stuff.



These are little pendants. When my professor saw that I was going into 'production mode' she discouraged me from pursuing this commercial line of thought. This, after all, is 'art school' and we aren't supposed to be thinking about things like eating and clothing ourselves. We are supposed to be making ART!

I don't know, I guess I've worked for so long (and made a living) that my brain keeps on thinking, what am I going to do to make a living when I get out of here?


I suppose I ought to suppress those thoughts for now.

So besides the pendants I've gone absolutely gah-gah over producing bells. Now, when I took a good look at all the wax positives I've produced tonight I decided that I'd better draw the line somewhere or I'll be cutting off sprues and grinding metal until god-knows-when!

So, here are just some of those wax bells.



When I got home tonight I had ice cream (mmmm, deep chocolate) cookies and a banana.

One of the main benefits of being an adult is that I CAN eat ice cream if I want for dinner.

Yes, it is good to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment