Sunday, October 25, 2009

Too Pooped to Post

But I am anyway. Just a short one.

Today I spend about six hours sitting next to the wax pot at the foundry. And what, you ask did I accomplish? Did I get some waxes all ready to be coated in ceramic shell and ready for a metal pour (a special metal pour that I requested) on Wednesday evening?

And the answer is . . . a drum roll please . . . .

NO!
But I did get most of the way through one that I think will be acceptable enough to coat and get ready for Wednesday.

The other one (there were two sprue and vent systems I made to cast a bunch of stuff) got (politely, helpfully) squewered by our resident graduate sculpture student who just happened to be hanging out in the foundry and wanted to let me know that he wouldn't 'bother' putting one of my wax thingies into shell becuase he just thought it wouldn't fill with metal.

And, he was right.

So, I was going to take pictures of the stuff I'm working on but it was getting to be close to eight o'clock and I was just starving.

So, I went home.

And that, for all you boys and girls out there, means that at some time tomorrow I'm going to have to shimmy my little butt back to the foundry to get it done.

Oh, and on top of that I put some investment molds into the burn out kiln (to get the wax out of the molds) and hope they will work, because the investment just looked like it was all bubbly and it should be smooth.

Blah, blah, blah. . .I am fascinated by metal casting but it is just so time consuming and frustrating. I just can't wait till the semester is over.

I think it's going to be 100% painting for my senior show.

Gotta go. I've still got an annotated bibliography to finish so I can hand it in at art history tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment