Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday, Works In Progress

Today was another packed day.

George succeeded in getting me out of bed this morning by appealing to my cat-maternal nature, ("come on Beezer, Mommy's going to get out of bed and feed you.")

My cat was ecstatic. I was not. But oh, what the hell, I got out of bed and within forty-five minutes was dressed, washed, made up, fed breakfast by George and out the door to my art history class. Yes, I know, that in itself is a miracle of God.

After class I drove over to the foundry to dip my wax bells in ceramic shell. Here's what they look like in this in-process state.



If you look at the picture (sorry, it's not very sharp) there are seven (count 'em 7) wax bells on the sprue and vent system. If it all casts I'll be cutting off and grinding bronze bells like a fiend next week to make it for the November 3rd crit.

Here's what the room in the foundry looks like where the wax is dipped (first in the giant mixer on the right, then in the stucco bins on the left.)



After the 'quick dip' at the foundry, I stopped home for food (one of my life's passions) and to pick up a picture I'm going to use for my next painting.

Then, I headed to the painting studio (my happy place) and started working on V. 2 of my self portrait (from a 1973 High School photo.)

It's taking me FOREVER to get the likeness right, but, I think I'm finally getting there. Ya know, you would think that after looking at my puss all these years I'd get it down.

So, here's what the painting looks like right now (before I head out the door to the studio again).



"And, that (as Walter Cronkite once said, on network T.V.) is the way it is."

Good night from Almond, N.Y.

1 comment:

  1. Love the bells! What is it about us and bells?! Mom loves bells, you're making bells, I love the bells your making! Hmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete