Thursday, September 10, 2009

Of All the Possibilities in the Universe . . . .

Today, I found myself occupying in the most beautiful studio space at an art college, with my brushes in hand, a mirror and canvases on the wall.

What are the possibilities that this would be my day today, on September 10, 2010, at the age of fifty-four? Sometimes I just find myself dwelling on the impossibility, the sheer wonderfulness of it all.

I had a crit with one of my advisers today. I really like this lady. She has chutzpah! Besides being an art professor, she's got a husband, three children and recently got her pilot's license.

I love women that live a full life, that stretch their abilities, challenging themselves, stretching beyond their limits.

And, for me, flying is a metaphor for freedom and power. Flying, we are weightless, soaring bird-like, touching the stratosphere and literally (sometimes) turning our worlds up-side-down.

I'm so glad I have another focus in my life beyond my aging body. In my spirit, I am young, boundless and eternal. In my body I am aching, tired, and challenged.

Here is the dichotomy of my life.

But I am not complaining. I am not taking my life too seriously because (at least in this body) it is only a one act play. I laugh a lot at myself and my frailties and the general human condition.

Of course I do not like that my body is sagging, wrinkling and aching. But somehow, and I do not even understand how this is, I am loving myself more than I ever have. I am trusting my intuition. I feel as if I am finally opening up to the world.

Anyway, I put a few hours into my paintings. Here is where I am so far:



The one on the right looks very, very scary!

I left the studio and came home for a couple hour nap.

When I arrived in the driveway, George was on the tractor cutting the lawn. I headed up to bed, ostensibly for a short nap, and then I was planning on going back to the studio. But, that didn't happen. . .

When I awoke, there was a warm dinner waiting for me in the oven (shake-n-bake pork chops with mashed potatoes and green beans.) How wonderful!

George is off to bed already, my cat Beezer is snoring next to me on the chair in my studio.

Life is good. Life is sweet. Life is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment