Saturday, September 19, 2009

Post-Toast

So, I survived. I'm still feeling a bit crunchy around the edges but I haven't crumbled yet.

Were you worried?

It's now past 11 o'clock (p.m.) and I promised myself I'd post to this blog today.

Today I spent five or six hours in the foundry sitting around the wax pot doing God-knows-what.

Actually, I finished up my bell bowl, my double bell (two sides) and made a wax positive of a simple cuff bracelet I'm going to cast in bronze (as if I really needed another bracelet.) I just thought it would be a nice keepsake. So far, it's just unadorned and I think I'll leave it that way (at least for now.)

I'm also going to start putting together some kind of mobile. I don't know if it will work, but I'm giving it a shot.

I meant to take some picture of the groovy surroundings at the foundry. For a foundry it's actually a nice place. I mean, it's filthy dirty and it probably would absolutely 'scheeve' my mother but the wax room is a palace compared to the way it was last year.

Why am I telling you this?

I guess I've lowered my standards on a lot of things to get the artwork done baby!

At one time I paid to have my nails and toes done. Now I scrape the grubby brown modeling wax out from under the remnants of my nails with a left over cuticle scissor. And, I don't care!

Late this afternoon, when I got home from the pristine foundry, I was getting ready to sit down for dinner (George was just finishing it up-nice, eh?) and as the shafts of fleeting sunlight poured through the diningroom window I suddenly saw the most huge, dusty spider web connecting the old sewing machine in the corner with the wall. Euww!

So, what did I do?

Well, at first I inwardly shuttered at the decline of my domestic diva skills. Then, I gently wiped away the cobweb and sat down to space out and have dinner with my partner. This makes me think of a friend of mine named Ruth (who passed on a couple of years ago) who once (and, probably more than once) said, "I refuse to chase dirt around my entire life only to have it heaped on top of me when I die."

Thank you Ruth, for your wisdom and your friendship. I will never forget you, your spirit, or your pet pig, P.J. (another story for another time, I guess.)

Tonight I've finally gotten around to working on my Powerpoint presentation, work sheet and short paper for art history. The presentation is due on Tuesday (along with the paper and worksheet) and I don't usually wait this long to get things done, but oh well. . .

I guess I'm becoming a true senior-senior in that I can't wait until this last academic class is over and I can concentrate on my studios.

I thought I had my camera in here. I remember, (somewhere in the fog of two days ago) that I actually took a couple of pictures in the painting studio. But, I guess I left the bag with all the art stuff (mostly stuff to use in the foundry) in the car and I'm just too pooped right now to go out and get it.

On tomorrow's agenda:

1. Finish the %$* presentation and paper
2. Get to my painting studio

No comments:

Post a Comment