Sunday, September 6, 2009

Work In Progress, Nostalgia and Man Advice

Today's tasks at school included a trip to the Scholes Library to read some material for my "Arts of Transformation" class tomorrow morning at 11:30 a.m. The book is in the campus library on reserve because the library doesn't have enough storage space on its (WTF?) site to store the three chapters of the book we need for discussion in class.

Being a spoiled 21st century college student, I feel inconvenienced by not having on- line access to the book to be read at my leisure, at home in my fuzzy slippers and pajamas.

It wasn't too long ago when everyone had to trek to the library to get all of their reading and research materials. But then, that was in the good old days when we wrote our term papers in blood, on manual typewriters.

I got my reading done and now have good old fashioned notes that I am going to use to regurgitate some information onto paper so I can sound like a reasonably intelligent student in class tomorrow. A lot of college is just literary regurgitation which gives students practice for later employment in corporate life.

After library, I simply HAD to get something to eat before I went to the studio to 'toil' over my latest drawing.

I decided to drop off my notebook in my car.

Parked next to my car was the coolest old 1961 VW Bug I have seen in a long time. It was completely original and unrestored. Here's a picture (I took about ten different pictures of it.)



Suddenly, I started to wax all nostalgic about the bug and my own high school days and trips in that bug with my friend, John Ripple. I even called over a couple of students to look at it, rambling on about how 'cool' it was and un-restored and blah, blah, blah. I guess they both must think I'm a bit insane (as if they didn't already) and politely stood by while I ebulliently explained my enthusiasm (O.K., O.K., I plead alliteration guilt.)

Next, it was off to the local greasy spoon for a quick dinner before heading off to the studio.

In the 'Jet' (short for Collegiate Restaurant) the waitress, a former student, felt that she needed to tell me that she hadn't been 'around' (as in, actually in the studio painting) because she had a 'personal crises.'

So, I had to ask her what was wrong (knowing that usually, at her age, it was a boyfriend problem.) Why is it always the MAN thing?

She told me her boyfriend had broken up with her because he and her girlfriend (who denied there was anything going on between them) had started going out.

My response?

"Typical."

I guess that wasn't very sympathetic, but honestly, when you get to be my age this is one of the very minor tragedies in life. Someday she'll probably find that out for herself.

While I was eating my "Sunday night special" I thought, maybe I should write her a note, you know, give her the benefit of my wisdom.

I gave her an astounding tip ($2 on a $7 bill.) I figured that, being she works in a college town, that she probably gets stiffed a lot.

Here is the a synopsis of the advice I wrapped around her tip. I wish I had written the damn thing down because I thought it was rather good (humble as I am.)

Men are eternally young and clueless.
If you happen to find one that understands you then latch on to him like a flee on a dog. For now though, don't spend your time looking for him. Look instead to invest your time, youth, beauty and intelligence on getting to know yourself.

She'll probably think I'm crazy, or just a bitter middle-aged bag.

So, here's where I am in the current drawing. I've omitted some things that just didn't seem to work. I think tomorrow I should be done.



At least, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment