Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Zombies and Flaming Pubic Hair-Art School

The young student that shares my painting studio space at school has a zombie obsession. Apparently, it's pretty popular with college-age people. At least that's what another student (who actually has 'normal' conversations with me) tells me.

So, along side my self-portraits there is a collection of zombie paintings and paintings of young girls (my studio mate's girlfriends) obviously taken with a camera, at extremely close proximity and curiously angled.

So, all these beautiful, young, Gothed-out faces stare back across the table set between us at my two self portraits and one torso (with 'flaming' pubic hair.)

Hey, so who am I to criticize zombie paintings?

It's art school and the body is beautiful, and, I'm also an extremely cheap model. So, in the privacy of my own studio at home, I took some nudes of myself holding a broken old empty bird's next in front of my crotch. I guess subtlety in symbolism isn't one of my things.

Tomorrow I have three (count 'em) three crits, (art school lingo for critiques) one right after the other. So, by about 1 p.m. tomorrow my eyeballs should be filled with the latest art school images (whatever they end up being.)

I'm keeping it short tonight and including some shots of the foundry wax working area (including the infamous Primordial Ooze-Wax pot) and works in progress in my studio.



To the left of the wax pot in the above picture are three items that will be put onto the sprue and cup set up sitting on the table. The three items are a mold for a bracelet, a bell-bowl, and a double bell.

The next picture is of the wax pot itself. I thought it deserved it's own personal shot since it was the sight of my fishing expedition to find one half of a silicone mold that fell into the wax (and possibly the remains of Jimmy Hoffa.) Isn't it just lovely?



Next up, is the work in progress oil painting I'm calling 'empty nest.' As you can see my pubic hairs do appear to be on fire (which I actually find hilarious) a situation that has since been remedied by the application of some additional paint. Sorry, I haven't taken a picture yet because it's still a work in progress, and, I wanted to get home.



Finally, I'm posting a picture of one view out the window of my studio. As you can see the trees are beginning to burn (not unlike my crotch) with fall colors. The roof seen in the pictures is located over the outdoor kilns. Alfred U is the #1 ceramics school in the country.

And yes, I am studying painting here. Go figure.

Well then, now that I've updated you on the artistic highlights of my day I'm going to get my self all comfy and ready for bed.

As Scarlet O'Hara once said, "After all, tomorrow is another day." [Fade in theme from GWTW here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment